Your furnace works hard to keep your Elk Grove, California, home comfortable during the winter. If the performance of your heating system drops, don’t delay in scheduling heating repairs. Waiting to make repairs may result in a breakdown, which can affect comfort and health. In addition, poorly functioning units use more energy to operate. Here are a few common heating system complaints and tips on how to investigate them. If you detect a problem that you can’t solve, call for expert HVAC services.
Heating System Blows Cold Air
If your forced-air unit is blowing cold air, try these troubleshooting tips.
- Make sure the power switch is on.
- Check that the thermostat is set on “heat.” Increase the temperature 5 degrees, and see if hot air blows out. If there is still no hot air, a faulty thermostat may be the problem.
- Make sure registers are open and are not blocked.
- Clean or replace the air filter. Dirty filters are the primary cause of calls for air conditioning and heating repairs.
- Check wiring and circuit breakers.
- If you have a gas furnace, make sure the pilot light is on.
- If you smell gas, open windows, vacate the premises, and call the gas company immediately.
- Leaking ducts account for a loss of up to 30% of the conditioned air flowing through them. Inconsistent heat output may be due to leaking ducts.
If these suggestions don’t work, call your HVAC contractor to diagnose the problem.
Unit Makes Odd Noises
Most forced-air furnaces make sounds when they are on. If you get to know the normal sounds of your unit, you will recognize unusual sounds that may indicate a problem. Be attuned to rattling, squealing, and grinding. These sounds can be from minor issues such as a loose belt to major problems such as bearings failing in a motor. An expert HVAC services company can investigate and solve the problem.
Advanced HVAC Services, Inc. has years of experience in new installations, repairs, and maintenance of heating and cooling systems. We understand how the area’s climate affects heating and cooling equipment. If your heat pump or furnace is not performing properly, call us at (916) 831-7651. Our NATE-certified technicians bring technological expertise and superior customer service to your home or business. We are licensed, insured and bonded. We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.